Wednesday 18 May 2016

Border Reiving and Bannockburn

Apologies for the lack of recent posts. My new job as battle coordinator at the National Trust for Scotland's new Battle of Bannockburn Heritage Visitor centre has meant that hobby time has indeed been severely reduced. Ironic that I spend a large amount of my day running wargames for members of the public/talking about the history of the conflict, but hey they are paying my wages. However if you're in the area anytime soon, would like to participate in a light approximation of the battle and see some cool technology at work, please come along, participate and say hello.

The Claymore Rampant day, run by the above manufacturer of all things Scots War of Independence, went very well indeed. Although low on numbers (only about six of us turned up) it proved to be a very fun, laid back and enjoyable event, largely focused on a series of cross border raids in the 1340's. I just fell short of pipping the top spot by half a point, but nonetheless the victor well deserved his position. I really hope some more similar events are run in coming months, I'd certainly be up for them.

Recently my painting efforts have been focused upon painting up Border Reiver's for Glasgow Phoenix Wargamings "Not Too Hot,or Too Heavy" (to quote GM Fraser, who I am reading at the moment as background research) campaign, using Osprey's new set of rules En Garde, the miniatures have been made by Hoka Hey, using the old Graven Images castings and they are very nice indeed. Crisply detailed, with lots of research into period details they almost tick all my boxes. Hard wearing and not prone to broken spears or bent weapons, I also found this was one of the miniatures down points as they must have cast the pewter with antimony as it made them extremely difficult to trim sparing mould lines off. Equally (and this is me just nit picking) there are a couple of instances of belt buckles and baldricks that can be clearly seen below the belt, but do not extend over the shoulder. Now maybe it is just me, or they are meant to be portraying a hanger rather than the above, but it is slightly annoying, but a good bit of modelling putty/plasticard will easily rectify this. A solid 4/5 from me.


Equally, a lot has to be said for the En Garde ruleset, it has the feel of a mix of RPG, a bit of Mordheim with a dash of Dumas. Play alternates via an IGOUGO system, whereby the model/individual in question can do one of a series of action, move, attack or shoot. Very simple in nature, combat is based upon a combat pool, with the individual of the higher rank taking priority. Points in the combat pool can be spent on individual fencing actions that might get an individual out of a sticking situation which is quite innovative. With often only singular attacks available, a clear strategic undercurrent lies in the game. Morale falls after half a side is killed, and indeed in this respect it can prove fast, furious and indeed bloody. Needing only 6-12 miniatures a side at the most, it works perfectly for a quick game or for those strapped for time. I’m certainly going to be using it for the ECW.

I’m certainly now looking at raising a force to act as government march wardens to oppose my reivers, as well as raising my stock of livestock. However focus is very much on getting my ECW collection finished now without interruption. I am hugely looking forward to Bicorne Miniatures/HelionPublishing’s The Kingdom is Ours, so major time is now going to be set on finishing my favourite period. Incidently anyone rearranging their storage facilities for miniatures may well be interested that Poundland is currently selling magnetic tape. I have based about half my collection with it and it works perfectly. Check it out.
More soon.


1 comment: